It is so easy to get out of shape during business travel. No matter how hard you work out while at home, business travel can take a severe toll. It’s so easy, especially with the disruption to your schedule, new surroundings, and general frantic activity to simply slide into inactivity. Here are a few techniques to help you stay fit.
1) Always find the exercise room when you check in. You may not use it for a few days if super busy, but just visually finding it will motivate you.
2) Try to walk a lot. You may be able to walk during lunch, perhaps to dinner, or around town. If you can’t walk conveniently, at least walk up or down the stairs instead of taking the elevator occasionally. I walked up 19 flights of stairs today, and it was a great workout!
3) Always bring a pair of workout clothes and shoes with you on trips. They will motivate you to exercise, or at least not impede you. Some trips are too short to do much of anything, but I always bring sneakers, a t shirt, and shorts just in case.
4) Travel is not an excuse to pig out all the time. Yes, you may have a few nice, long, and involved meals with more calories than you need, and that’s OK, but that shouldn’t be for every meal!
5) Don’t drink much alcohol. Not only will it cut down on your activities like walking, using the exercise room, and running, but there are lots of calories in alcohol.